The bachelors’ degree in Industrial Engineering at Tsinghua requires 170 credits totally, which include: spring & fall courses 142 credits, summer practicum 13 credits, and thesis project 15 credits. The 170 credits constitution is: General
The Master of Science Degree in Industrial Engineering is offered to all students who finish the Industrial Engineering program in usually 2 years. Besides the required Master’s thesis, the Industrial Engineering program requires 30 credits, con
The Philosophy of Doctor Degree in Industrial Engineering is offered to all students who finish the Industrial Engineering program in at least 3 to 5 years.
PEOThe current PEO is:Employ industrial engineering theories, and analytical and management skills for incre
The Department of Industrial Engineering is devoted to solving efficiency, quality, cost and safety problems in industrial and service systems.
The challenges in contemporary society are mostly complicated system problems, such as management of global production networks, establishment of efficient public healthcare systems, construction of traffic and transport systems and their operation networks, and maintaining secured and effective energy supply systems. These challenges involve not only c
We apply state-of-the-art decision science and statistics knowledge to the development of the Chinese economy. To be specific, we use data-driven decision...
The Engineering system group in the Department of Industrial Engineering of Tsinghua University endeavors to improve understanding about the nature of operations in engineering systems, such as, production systems, service systems (logistics, healthcare,
Human Factor and Ergonomics studies the correlations and interactions between human, tool, machine and environment in system, and promote the total productivity of human-machine system as well as people's health, security and the quality of life.
The research centers at the department are platforms for the collaboration and communication between the department and industries. They serve through research, technology transfer, management consulting, and continuous education & training. Below are research centers run by the department:
The IE department has four laboratories: Human Factors Engineering Lab (HFEL), Logistics Engineering Lab (LEL), Production Engineering Lab (PEL), and Computing and Simulation Lab (CSL).
The department is well structured by a team of 30 highly qualified faculty members, including 7 full professors, 17 associate professors, and 6 assistant professors. The founding chaired professor and department head is Dr. Gavriel Salvendy, who is a prof
Dr. Gavriel Salvendy
Chair of the Review Board
University Distinguished Professor
University of Central Florida,and President Academy of Science, Engineering and Medicine of Florida
Member of National Academy of Engineering, US
Dr Hubertus ChristPresident of VDI ( Verein Deutscher Ingenieure,Germany)Time of appointment: 2002-2008Mr. Tome LeamonVi
[Time] 9:00-10:00, April 11 (Saturday), 2020
Lotus Pond Rain Classroom: W141WB
ZOOM ID: 660 896 190
Tencent ID: 526 217 861
[Speaker] Dr. Luyi Yang
[Title] A Model of Queue-Scalping
The department has one associate chair as the department-level student advisory board director. The board has an undergraduate branch and a graduate branch. Each branch is formed by class advisors, class assistants, student union, Youth League, and Science/Technology Association.
The IE department has eight undergraduate classes (each grade has two classes of about 70 students). Also we have two faculty members as the advisors for the freshmen, two for the sophomores, one for the juniors, and o
The students are required to participate in extracurricular activities in order to prepare themselves with not only knowledge in IE, but also Teamwork and interpersonal skills, Leadership, and Social responsibilities.
The university-level student advisor
The Bachelor program requires 173 credits, consisting of 136 credits in spring/fall semesters, 4 credits in senior projects, 18 credits in summer practice and military training, and 15 credits of a final thesis. The courses are classified into five categories: Humanities and Social Sciences, core engineering courses, core Industrial Engineering courses, summer practice and internship, and a thesis component.
International programs have been initiated since 2001 including Tsinghua-Aachen joint master program and Tsinghua-Gatech exchange program. And a two-year, professional-orientated master’s program in Management Science and Engineering (Global Manufacturing) was founded in 2009 for students with a global vision in management science and engineering, with special focus on the manufacturing industry in China.
The doctoral degree program usually lasts 3 to 5 years. Students with Master’s degree usually spend 3 to 4 years. The program has 22 credits consisting of 13 credits of core courses, and 5 credits of research requirements. Students without an IE related Master’s degree shall take prerequisite courses suggested by the advisor.
Admissions to the International Program of Master of Engineering Management (iMEM)
Programs for International Students
Management Science and Engineering
Global Manufacturing Program (MSE)
(M)–Master’s Programs (EM)- Master’s Programs in English (D)- Doctoral Programs (ED)- Doctoral Programs in English
* According to the evaluation conducted in 2010, the department was comparable to the top 10 industrial engineering programs in the U.S.
* Dr. Gavriel Salvendy, Professor of Industrial Engineering at Purdue University and Member of the United States National Academy of Engineering, was named chaired professor and founding department head. More than 80% faculty members have study and research experience in top universities in the U.S. and Europe.
* The department has adopted a new paradigm of engineering education with an emphasis on creativity and practical training through innovative teaching, and reconfigured the curriculum in accordance with the standards of top industrial engineering programs.
* The department hosts workshops annually, built up the long-term international collaboration with well-known universities and companies.
* International joint programs have also been initiated since 2001 including Tsinghua-Aachen joint master program and Tsinghua-Gatech exchange program. And a two-year, professional-orientated master’s program in Management Science and Engineering (Global Manufacturing) was founded in 2009 for students with a global vision in management science and engineering, with special focus on the manufacturing industry in China.
* The department includes three institutes: Operations Research and Statistics, Engineering System, Human Factors and Ergonomics, and has established a series of laboratories.
2. Curriculum & Master Thesis
Business & Culture
Global Manufacturing strategies
Manufacturing in China
Innovative Product Design
E-commerce and Logistics Systems
Logistics in China
Ergonomics and Work Organization
Chinese History & Culture
Engineering and Technology Management
3. Competence after the program
International Student Manual
Education Plan 2016 (Global Manufacturing Program)
Education Plan 2016 (Tsinghua-Aachen Double Degree Program)
Education Plan 2017 (Global Manufacturing Program)
Education Plan 2017 (Tsinghua-Aachen Double Degree Program)
Education Plan 2017 (Tsinghua-PM Double Degree Program)