The bachelors's degree in Industrial Engineering at Tsinghua requires 170 credits totally, which include: spring & fall courses 142 credits, summer practicum 13 credits, and thesis project 15 credits. The 170 credits constitution is: General
The Master of Science degree in Industrial Engineering is offered to all students who finish the Industrial Engineering program usually in 2 years. Besides the required Master's thesis, the Industrial Engineering program requires 30 credits, con
The Philosophy of Doctor degree in Industrial Engineering is offered to all students who finish the Industrial Engineering program in at least 3 to 5 years.
PEOThe current PEO is:Employ industrial engineering theories, and analytical and management skills for incre
The Department of Industrial Engineering is devoted to solving efficiency, quality, cost and safety problems in industrial and service systems.
The challenges in contemporary society are mostly complicated system problems, such as management of global production networks, establishment of efficient public healthcare systems, construction of traffic and transport systems and their operation networks, and maintaining secured and effective energy supply systems. These challenges involve not only c
We apply state-of-the-art decision science and statistics knowledge to the development of the Chinese economy. To be specific, we use data-driven decision...
The Engineering system group in the Department of Industrial Engineering of Tsinghua University endeavors to improve understanding about the nature of operations in engineering systems, such as, production systems, service systems (logistics, healthcare,
Human Factor and Ergonomics studies the correlations and interactions between human, tool, machine and environment in system, and promote the total productivity of human-machine system as well as people's health, security and the quality of life.
The research centers at the department are platforms for the collaboration and communication between the department and industries. They serve through research, technology transfer, management consulting, and continuous education & training. Below are research centers run by the department:
The IE department has four laboratories: Human Factors Engineering Lab (HFEL), Logistics Engineering Lab (LEL), Production Engineering Lab (PEL), and Computing and Simulation Lab (CSL).
The department is well structured by a team of 30 highly qualified faculty members, including 7 full professors, 17 associate professors, and 6 assistant professors. The founding chaired professor and department head is Dr. Gavriel Salvendy, who is a prof
Dr. Gavriel Salvendy
Chair of the Review Board
University Distinguished Professor
University of Central Florida,and President Academy of Science, Engineering and Medicine of Florida
Member of National Academy of Engineering, US
Dr Hubertus ChristPresident of VDI ( Verein Deutscher Ingenieure,Germany)Time of appointment: 2002-2008Mr. Tome LeamonVi
[Time] 9:00-10:00, April 11 (Saturday), 2020
Lotus Pond Rain Classroom: W141WB
ZOOM ID: 660 896 190
Tencent ID: 526 217 861
[Speaker] Dr. Luyi Yang
[Title] A Model of Queue-Scalping
The department has one associate chair as the department-level student advisory board director. The board has an undergraduate branch and a graduate branch. Each branch is formed by class advisors, class assistants, student union, Youth League, and Science/Technology Association.
The IE department has eight undergraduate classes (each grade has two classes of about 70 students). Also we have two faculty members as the advisors for the freshmen, two for the sophomores, one for the juniors, and o
The students are required to participate in extracurricular activities in order to prepare themselves with not only knowledge in IE, but also Teamwork and interpersonal skills, Leadership, and Social responsibilities.
The university-level student advisor
The Bachelor program requires 173 credits, consisting of 136 credits in spring/fall semesters, 4 credits in senior projects, 18 credits in summer practice and military training, and 15 credits of a final thesis. The courses are classified into five categories: Humanities and Social Sciences, core engineering courses, core Industrial Engineering courses, summer practice and internship, and a thesis component.
International programs have been initiated since 2001 including the Tsinghua-Aachen joint master program and Tsinghua-Gatech exchange program. And a two-year, professional-orientated Master's program in Management Science and Engineering (Global Manufacturing) was founded in 2009 for students with a global vision in management science and engineering, with special focus on the manufacturing industry in China.
The doctoral degree program usually lasts 3 to 5 years. Students with Master's degree usually spend 3 to 4 years. The program has 22 credits consisting of 13 credits of core courses, and 5 credits of research requirements. Students without an IE related Master's degree shall take prerequisite courses suggested by the advisor.
Admissions to the International Program of Master of Engineering Management (iMEM)
Pei-Luen Patrick Rau, Professor, Department of Industrial Engineering at Tsinghua University. Vice Dean of Tsinghua Global Innovation Exchange (GIX) Institute, Tsinghua-UNC MEM+MBA Dual Degree Program Director, National Science Fund for Outstanding Young Scholars, Former Director of the Institute of Human Factors and Ergonomics, Adjunct Professor of Georgia Tech University, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and Yonsei University, and Visiting Professor of Chuo University and RWTH Aachen University of Technology, Visiting Scholar of Microsoft Research Asia.
Research areas: Human Factors Engineering, Human Computer Interaction, User Insights and Experience Innovation, Cross-Cultural Research, Design for Well-being, Service Design and Evaluation.
Editorial Board of International Journal of Human-Computer Interaction, Universal Access in the Information Society, International Journal of Affective Engineering, International Journal of Mobile Communication. Associate Editor of Chinese Journal of Ergonomics, Committee Member of Chinese Psychological Society of Engineering Psychology, Committee Member of Chinese Society of Technology Economics of Neuromanagement. Former Associate Editor of Safety Science, The International Journal of Automation and Smart Technology, editorial board of Human Factors: the journal of the human factors and ergonomics society.
See Prof. Rau's publications.pdf
Books / Book Chapters
1. Rau P.L.P., Guo Z., Qie N., Lei X., & Zhang A. (2020) The Cognitive Bias in Cross-Cultural Design. In: Vanderheiden E., Mayer CH. (eds) Mistakes, Errors and Failures across Cultures. Springer, Cham.
2. Qie, N., Ohkura, M., & Rau, P.L.P. (2019). Kawaii Perception of Artifacts Between Chinese and Japanese Cultures, Kawaii Engineering, Springer.
3. 董建明、傅利民、饶培伦、Salvendy, G. (2016)「人机交互：以用户为中心的设计与评估」，北京:清华大学出版社，第五版。
4. 董建明、傅利民、饶培伦、Salvendy, G. (2013)「人机交互：以用户为中心的设计与评估」，北京:清华大学出版社，第四版。
5. Rau, P.L.P., Plocher T., & Choong, Y.Y.（2012）, Cross-Cultural Design for IT Products and Services ,CRC Press
7. 董建明、傅利民、饶培伦、Salvendy, G. (2010)「人机交互：以用户为中心的设计与评估」，北京:清华大学出版社，第三版。
8. Rau, P.L.P. & Leaman, T. (2009) Ergonomics in China. In Patricia Ann Scott (Ed.) Ergonomics in Developing Regions: Needs and Applications. Taylor and Francis.
9. Marcus, A. & Rau, P.L.P. (2009). International and Intercultural User Interfaces, In Stephanidis, C. (Ed.). The Universal Access Handbook, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
10. 董建明、傅利民、饶培伦、Salvendy, G. (2007)「人机交互：以用户为中心的设计与评估」，北京:清华大学出版社，第二版。
11. Rau, P.L.P. (2006). Some Ergonomics Standards in Ancient China, In Karwowski, W. (Ed.) Handbook of Standards and Guidelines in Ergonomics and Human Factors, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
12. Choong, Y.Y., Plocher T., and Rau, P.L.P. (2004). Cross-cultural Web Design. In Proctor, R. (Ed.) The Handbook of Human Factors in Web Design, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
Journal Board Members
· Editorial Board, International Journal of Affective Engineering (2018-present)
· Editorial Board, International Journal of Human-Computer Interaction (2005 - present)
· Editorial Board, Universal Access in Information Society (2007 - present)
· Editorial Board, International Journal of Mobile Communication (2009 - present)
· Associate Editor, The International Journal of Automation and Smart Technology (AUSMT) (2011 - 2012)
· Associate Editor, Safety Science (2004 - 2011)
· Editorial Board, Human Factors (2009-2010)
· Editorial Board, Theoretical Issues in Ergonomics Science (2002 - 2008)
· Editorial Board, Journal of Ergonomics Study (Taiwan) (2004)
Conference Board Members
· Program Board, ISASE 2021 – the 7th International Symposium on Affective Science and Engineering, Japan. (2021)
· Program Board, HCI International 2020, the 22nd International Conference on Human-Computer Interaction, Copenhagen, Denmark. (2020)
· Program Chair, the 12th International Conference on Cross-Cultural Design (CCD2020), Copenhagen, Denmark. (2020)
· Program Board, ISASE 2020 – the 6th International Symposium on Affective Science and Engineering, Japan. (2020)
·· Program Chair, the 11th International Conference on Cross-Cultural Design (ICCD2019), Orlando, FL, USA. (2019)
· Program Board, HCI International 2019, the 21st International Conference on Human-Computer Interaction, Orlando, FL, USA. (2019)
· Program Board, AHFE 2018, the 9th International Conference on Applied Human Factors and Ergonomics, Orlando, FL, USA. (2018)
· Program Chair, the 10th International Conference on Cross-Cultural Design (ICCD2018), Las Vegas, NV, USA. (2018)
· Program Board, HCI International 2018, the 20th International Conference on Human-Computer Interaction, Las Vegas, NV, USA. (2018)
· Program Board, AHFE 2017, the 8th International Conference on Applied Human Factors and Ergonomics, Los Angeles, CA, USA. (2017)
· Program Chair, the 9th International Conference on Cross-Cultural Design (ICCD2017), Vancouver, Canada. (2017)
· Program Board, HCI International 2017, the 19th International Conference on Human-Computer Interaction, Vancouver, Canada. (2017)
· Program Board, SEANES 2016, the 4th SEANES International Conference on Human Factors and Ergonomics in South-East Asia, Indonesia. (2016)
· Program Board, AHFE 2016, the 7th International Conference on Applied Human Factors and Ergonomics, Orlando, FL, USA. (2016)
· Program Chair, the 8th International Conference on Cross-Cultural Design (ICCD2016), Toronto, Canada. (2016)
· Program Board, HCI International 2016, the 18th International Conference on Human-Computer Interaction, Toronto, Canada. (2016)
· Program Board, AHFE 2015, the 6th International Conference on Applied Human Factors and Ergonomics, Las Vegas, NV, USA. (2015)
· Program Chair, the 7th International Conference on Cross-Cultural Design (ICCD2015), Los Angeles, CA, USA. (2015)
· Program Board, HCI International 2015, the 17th International Conference on Human-Computer Interaction, Los Angeles, CA, USA. (2015)
· Program Committee, the ACM SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI 2015), Seoul Korea. (2015)